- This event has passed.
YouTube Stars – Summer Camp – June 24-28, 2019
June 24 @ 9:00 am - June 28 @ 4:00 pm$30 – $315
Does your child want to be the next YouTube super star? Let us show them the ropes! This camp teaches real-world video production skills. Kids will learn how to:
- Stay safe on the Internet, and in their videos
- Plan their videos, including storyboarding and scripting
- Record and edit their videos
- Export videos for YouTube
The types of videos we create will be up to the kids, based on their planning, but usually include some of the following:
- Challenge videos
- DIY Tutorials
- Interviews with their classmates
- Music Video or Roleplay
- Game Walkthroughs, Tutorials, and “Let’s Play” videos – We have Minecraft and Roblox on all of our computers, and Fortnite on some of them; if your child would like to do another game that works on Windows computers (max ESRB rating of T), let us know, and we’ll see if we can get the necessary licensing.
You can see examples of videos kids have already made on our YouTube channel.
We typically upload all videos to the Coder Kids Club YouTube Channel, because technically, your kids aren’t old enough for their own YouTube channels! If your child does have a YouTube channel, he or she can bring in a flash drive and grab his or her videos, to upload with you at home.
Important: Each student needs a USB headset with microphone for this class. We very highly recommend this one: https://amzn.to/2Il7ZoE. We know that particular headset works every time with our hardware and software. If you want your child to use a different headset, please make sure it’s USB, and not 3.5mm headphone and microphone jacks. If your child isn’t using the recommended headset, you will need to stick around when we record with the headsets (at least once), to get it working properly with our hardware and software, or your child might just have to use the mic on the computer (background noise, ick!). Please make sure your child’s headset is clearly labeled with his or her name on it, and bring it to and from class each week.
This camp is for kids who were in grades K through 8 during the 2018-19 school year. We split kids into groups based on their grade level and experience. Please note that the grade ranges listed for tickets might not be the ranges we use for the groups. If we have room, we can sometimes move kids between groups, but will do so only with instructor approval.
This camp is Monday through Friday, 9am-4pm. Before and after care may be available for an additional cost. Please let us know if you need them when you register.
Kids should bring the following with them each day:
- A nut-free lunch and snacks
- A water bottle
During this camp, kids can use game accounts on the computers. We cannot create accounts for your kids. Kids should have their login information memorized and written down for reference. Need to create an account?
- Minecraft account (requires a purchase of Minecraft: Java Edition): https://minecraft.net/en-us/store/minecraft/
- Roblox account (free): https://www.roblox.com/
- Fortnite (free, for now): https://accounts.epicgames.com/login
When you drop your child off, we will have forms for you to fill out your child’s account information (if needed), and indicate which games they are allowed to use and/or play. If your child does not have an account, or is not allowed to use a specific game, we will provide alternate activities.