April showers bring more classes 🙂 Monday (6-7:30) Minecraft Club and Friday (6-9) Gamer Club continue into June, and tickets are now available for all remaining weeks. We have also added the following:
- Build an App for your Business, on April 9 – This is a free workshop for anybody who wants to learn how to build an app. Join us 9-10:30am, at the office or online.
- Introduction to Programming for Homeschoolers, starting April 9 – Join us 11am-12pm on Mondays for 6 weeks.
- Game Design with Scratch, starting April 10 – Tuesdays, 5:45-6:45pm for 6 weeks of programming for kids in grades 3-8.
- Modding Minecraft, starting April 10 – Tuesdays, 7-8pm for 6 weeks of Java programming in Minecraft.
- Introduction to Animation, starting April 11 – Wednesdays, 6:30-8pm for 4 weeks of stop motion animation fun!
- Galaxy Painting, on April 21 – This class for adults and teens continues our creative series with Larsen Lane Lettering.
- Teen Gamer Club, on April 27 – If we get a good response, we’ll add more dates for this club geared towards kids in grades 6 through 12.
We expect to add some more classes over the next several weeks, including several parent/child creative classes, a Roblox club, robotics clubs, and some more STEAM fun for kids in K-2 and 6-12 (3-5 is pretty well-covered!).
Summer camp registration is also still in full swing, and many camps are starting to get pretty full, so if you’re considering registering grab a spot while you can. For April, the summer2018 discount code will get you 10% off the cost of summer camps. In addition to our popular topics from the last couple of summers, such as YouTube Stars and Animation All Stars, we have added a few new ones, like Escape the Camp and Maker Camp.
Don’t forget we also have birthday parties! Kids (and adults, we don’t judge) can choose gaming, slime, crafts, and many other activities for parties they won’t forget. Sign up for a party in April and get a voucher for one free session of Gamer Club at the party, as our gift to the guest of honor.
The second round of spring classes for kids in 2018 will start the first week in April. Here’s what we currently have scheduled:
The following ongoing classes will also continue, into June:
If you’d like us to add STEAM Lab Open Play, YouTube Star, or any other classes, please contact us and we’ll try to fit them into the schedule.
A few parents have told us they couldn’t find the camps on our web site, so here’s a post with a link straight to them! Go here for camps.
Happy New Year! We are mostly moved in to our amazing, new, 4,000+ square foot space. Most of our classes for January through mid-June have been added to the web site, and we will be adding our summer camps very soon. You can save 10% on most of them through 1/15/2018 with the happynewyear discount code.
Members always save 20% on all Open Play labs, and 10% on most other events. Not already a member? Sign up for a membership before you register for any classes, to get the discounts.
Here’s a list of everything we have scheduled so far (* denotes Open Play, which is 20% off for members):
- January-June (ongoing)
- Minecraft Club – Mondays, 6-7:30pm, starting 1/8
- STEAM Lab Open Play* – Mondays, 6-7:30pm, starting 1/8
- Game Lab Open Play* – Thursdays, 6-7:30pm, starting 1/11
- STEAM Lab Open Play* – Thursdays, 6-7:30pm, starting 1/11
- Game Lab Open Play* – Fridays, 6-7:30pm, starting 1/12
- School is Out Mini-Camp – Various days, 9am-4pm, starting 1/15
- Introduction to Programming – Tuesdays, 5:45-6:45pm, starting 2/6
- Introduction to Calligraphy & Hand Lettering – Tuesdays, 5:45-6:45pm, starting 2/6
- Modding Lab* – Tuesdays, 6-8pm, starting 2/6 – continues through May
- Modding Roblox – Level 1 – Tuesdays, 7-8pm, starting 2/6
- Introduction to Animation – Wednesdays, 5:45-6:45, starting 2/7
- YouTube Star (Video Production) – Wednesdays, 7-8pm, starting 2/7
We hope to add some more in the coming weeks, so check our web site and social media for updates. If you would like us to add a specific class, please let us know! We’ll do our best to accommodate you.
We are hiring for the following part-time positions:
- Instructor – Instructors do classroom setup/breakdown, lead groups through Coder Kids Club course materials, help with creating and revising materials, and supervise the children in their classes. They will also attend special events, to help promote the Coder Kids Club. Right now we are particularly in need of staff who can help at events, on evenings and weekends! Previous experience working with kids is required. Some previous topic-specific experience is also very helpful, but it’s not necessary for that experience to be from a professional setting. In other words, hobbyists are welcome! Multiple positions are available.
- Assistant – Assistants help instructors manage classes and camps, help with setup/breakdown, and help kids with activities.
- Intern – We have internships available to AACPS students. Please contact your advisor for more information. If you are not a student in AACPS, please have your advisor contact us, so we can get set up for your school system. You must be able to receive credit for our internship program to participate!
- Volunteers – Coder Kids Club is in the process of becoming a nonprofit! Technically, this isn’t “hiring,” but we are always looking for volunteers to help with events. If you want to help spread STEAM to kids in the area, we would love some help.
All positions are part-time. Evening and weekend hours will be available throughout the year. Most daytime hours will be available during school breaks, including summer. Pay is commensurate with experience. Interns are not compensated, but do receive credit for school. Volunteers are also not compensated, but will be invited to special events for supporters, and will receive vouchers for classes. A background check is required for all employees and volunteers that are 18 or older.
Please use the form below to apply, and include a plain-text version of your resume.