Wonder kids, animate! Stop-motion animation is a fun, and easy way for kids to learn a bit about animation. We offer this topic as part of many of our classes and camps, and the kids always enjoy it. You can view some of the awesome animations the kids have made on our YouTube channel.
We have the following equipment, to use for stop-motion animation:
- 15 Kindle Fire HD 7 with Stop Motion Studio and Minecraft Stop-Motion Movie Creator
- Several sets of Minecraft Stop-Motion Animation Studio, which include stands to hold the tablets in place
- 8 HUE HD cameras and laptops with HUE Animation Studio
- Bins full of LEGOs, Minecraft mini-figures, Littlest Pet Shop figures, and more
Add some consumable materials, like paper, cardboard, crayons, and clay, for making additional figures, backgrounds, and set pieces, and you have a mobile stop-motion studio!
Kids can also bring their own devices for this activity, and we encourage this if they wish to upload their finished animation(s) to their own social media accounts, because otherwise they are added to the Coder Kids Club YouTube channel. They just need to install Stop Motion Studio on the device, and might need to bring a stand if the ones we have won’t work with the device.
Depending on how much time the kids have, we can cover some, or all, of the following topics:
- Planning, scripting, and storyboarding the animation
- Creating figures, backgrounds, and set pieces
- Capturing the animation
- Adding audio
- Adding titles
- Editing the animation
We recommend a minimum of 30 minutes for this activity. That would allow kids to capture enough pictures for a few seconds of animation.
Want to have this activity at your event?
This is what you'll need to host this activity:
- Electricity. We can get away without electricity if we’re using the tablets, but only for a relatively short event. If the event is longer than 2 hours, we need to charge them. The laptops won’t last very long without electricity.
- Plenty of floor space, tables, and chairs. The space needed will depend on the equipment you want us to bring to the event. If you want to use the HUE HD cameras and laptops, we need one 6-foot table for each “studio,” so kids have enough space. The tablet “studios” tend to take up less space, but we recommend a max of three at a 6-foot table. We recommend two kids per studio.
- WiFi is important! We want to upload the animations as soon as kids are done making them.
- 2+ Coder Kids Club staff or trained event staff/volunteers to set up, monitor, and assist. The apps and software are super easy to use, but sometimes kids need help. It’s especially important to make sure kids understand they will need to take a lot of pictures to make nice animations. Many times they’ll take 10-20 pictures, and then wonder why their animations are only 1-2 seconds long!
Please contact us for availability and pricing for this activity.
If you wish to DIY, here are some resources that might help.
|Minecraft Stop-Motion Animation Studio
We have two of the Minecraft Stop-Motion Animation Studio sets at ... Read MoreBuy Now
|HUE Animation Studio
This is the animation software and camera that we use ... Read MoreBuy Now
|Minecraft Collectible Figures Set J (3-Pack), Series 3
This is my daughter’s favorite mini figure set because it ... Read MoreBuy Now
|Minecraft Periodic Table of Elements
We recently received this set at the office, and the ... Read MoreBuy Now
|Kindle Fire HD 8
We love our Kindles! When we first opened Coder Kids Club, ... Read MoreBuy Now
|LEGO Minecraft The Mine
The Mine is the largest, and most expensive, LEGO Minecraft ... Read MoreBuy Now
|LEGO Minecraft The Cave
This is a relatively inexpensive set, and it contains a ... Read MoreBuy Now
|LEGO Minecraft The First Night
The LEGO Minecraft “The First Night” set has everything you ... Read MoreBuy Now
|LEGO Minecraft The Ender Dragon
This is one of the more popular Minecraft LEGO sets at ... Read MoreBuy Now
|LEGO Minecraft Crafting Box
We have most of the LEGO Minecraft sets in the ... Read MoreBuy Now
|Minecraft Mini Figure Collector Case
This is a great case, but we don’t actually use it ... Read MoreBuy Now
|Minecraft Collectible Figures Bats, Steve with Iron Armor and Villager 3-Pack, Series 2
This is my own personal favorite mini-figure set. At the ... Read MoreBuy Now