Let’s craft some spawn eggs, or as your parents probably call them, bath bombs! This activity won’t show you anything, until you actually use the spawn eggs, but then you’ll get to see what happens when you add water to citric acid and sodium bicarbonate. The eggs will fizz with the release of carbon dioxide.
Important: This only makes 2-4 eggs. We use such small amounts because we do this activity at events, and larger quantities would take longer and make more of a mess. If you want to make a larger batch, you can! Just use a large, glass bowl for mixing, instead of the small container with a lid. You will have to stir instead of shake.
- Container with lid
- Popsicle stick
- Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)
- Citric acid – You can sometimes find this with canning supplies, but it’s usually cheaper to buy online
- Witch hazel or water
- Oil (optional, we use almond and/or sunflower)
- Food coloring (optional, if you want color)
- Epsom salt (optional)
- Essential oil (optional, if you want it to smell good)
- Add the following to the container, cover, and shake:
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 2 tbsp citric acid
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Epsom salt (optional)
- (Optional) Add a squirt (1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon) of oil and 1-3 drops of essential oil to the container, and shake some more.
- (Optional) Add 4-6 drops of food coloring, and shake again.
- Check color, scent, and consistency. If you see big chunks, break them with the popsicle stick, and shake some more.
- Now spray 1-3 times with water or witch hazel, mixing with the popsicle stick each time, until the mixture can be formed into a ball.
- Form into 2-4 “eggs” and allow to dry for 24 hours before using. If you have a spare mini-figure, place one inside of each egg when forming, so it will “hatch” when used. We sometimes use mini cupcake liners for the eggs. Another fun way to form the eggs is to place them in Easter eggs, which you then tape and/or rubber-band closed.
- Store in an enclosed container, in a cool, dry place. Drop one in the tub before you take a bath, and enjoy the bubbles. If you added a mini-figure, it will be revealed as the egg dissolves.
PLEASE DON’T EAT THE EGGS!!!